Reserve the Pavilion
Fri 29 July
Sat 30 July
Sun 31 July
Mon 1 August
|Sun 31-Jul-2016||15:00-17:00||Intro-to-Laser||8 - FULL||Please login to sign-up|
|Sat 06-Aug-2016||15:00-17:00||Intro-to-Laser||12 - FULL||Please login to sign-up|
- Class size limited to about 4 people, please check registration page.
- Registration is required, and there is a minimum class size of 2 people, otherwise the class may be canceled.
About the Laser
The "Introduction to Laser" class is about three hours long and concentrates on rigging the laser and general boat handling.
You must have a provisional rating in order to join this class, no exceptions. The Laser is a tough boat to handle, it flips very easily, and you do not have as many indicators as a Tech Dinghy. Therefore, you will be expected to be fully proficient with:
- Using the tiller extension.
- Good tacking and jibing technique.
- Perfect understanding of going upwind and downwind.
- Know the major parts of the rig: main sheet, downhaul, outhaul, boom vang.
- Be proficient at sail trim going upwind and downwind.
- Be very comfortable getting wet: it is practically guaranteed that you will go swimming during this class!
Regardless of wind conditions the class will start on time with the rigging and general boat handling demo. As much as time will allow, students will go out, one or two at a time (one per Laser, instructor may use one Laser for demonstration/feedback). Note that we only have two Lasers available for the class, so we'll have to "share" the boats during the class. The most fun sailing the Laser is with 12-16 knots (or more), so if the winds are low we might arrange for a second part of the class with higher winds (but that's optional).
- A provisional rating is required to sail the Laser, so we ask that MIT sailors get their provisional rating before taking this class.
- Please pre-register above (the system checks that you have your provisional rating).