Sun May 26
Mon May 27
Tue May 28
Wed May 29
Latest ResultsOct 6See all results
Reserve!Want your own event?
Groups and individuals can reserve the Sailing Pavilion for their events. See the reservation page to request a date and check the costs.
Learn-to-Sail: Sundays All-in-one
Sundays -- 2 sessions: 9:00am to 12:15pm & 11:00am to 2:30pm during the Summer.
Upcoming 2013 Learn-to-Sail All-in-one classes:
|Learn-to-Sail Sun Series||Class|
|Sun 2013-Jun-02||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Jun-09||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Jun-16||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Jun-23||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Jun-30||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Jul-07||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Jul-14||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Jul-21||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Jul-28||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Aug-04||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Aug-11||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Aug-18||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Aug-25||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Sun 2013-Sep-01||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
|Mon 2013-Sep-02||Learn-to-Sail All-in-One|
Handouts: You can use these handouts both before and after the class:
This class is intended for members of the MIT Community who have no prior sailing experience and want to become active sailors at MIT.
Attendance is currently limited to 24 people per session! (This number may change depending on conditions and boat availability.)
Those with prior experience (including any prior graduates of the Learn-to-sail classes) who wish to have a "refresher" are encouraged to attend one of the followup Wednesday lessons, which will take less of your time with more appropiate material.
- Valid MIT ID or proof of MIT Community status.
- MUST have swimming ability (everyone sailing), no exceptions. You should be able to meet the standard MITNA swimming requirement, but don't need to present proof.
- Come dressed for sailing: Wear sneakers and clothes that you don't mind getting soaked in the Muddy Charles water.
- Pre-registration: you can Pre-Register in person at the Sailing Pavilion. You must show up by the time listed on the Pre-registration Sheet to retain your spot. Afterwards all available spots will be opened to walk-ins. Absolutely no phone, e-mail or online reservations! If you choose to pre-register you must do so in person. Currently non-MIT Community guests cannot pre-register.
- Walk-in: you can also show up First-come first-serve. The class is usually over-subscribed, so show up early.
Sunday sessions are taught concurrently from 9:00 AM to 12:15 PM & 11:00 AM to approximately 2:30 PM, so be ready for a full morning of intense sailing instruction! You must attend from the beginning and are expected to commit to the entire class (up to 2:30pm).
During the Sunday classes two people sail in each Tech Dinghy.
We fit as much training and experience sailing as possible into one long session.
Lecture will cover:
How the Pavilion works (general tour, front desk, sailing cards).
Introduction to the basics of sailing: wind direction, the boat, the sail, steering, etc.
Where to sit in the boat, how the boat moves/heels, and maneuvers by experienced sailors.
Rigging of the Tech Dinghy.
You will rig your own Tech, and have about an hour total of supervised sailing time on the water, followed by unrigging.
There will be a short followup discussion session after sailing.