Fri May 24
Sat May 25
Sun May 26
Tue May 28
Latest ResultsOct 6See all results
Reserve!Want your own event?
Groups and individuals can reserve the Sailing Pavilion for their events. See the reservation page to request a date and check the costs.
Learn To Sail: What's Next?
Thank you for attending our learn to sail classes. We hope you had lots of fun! Now you are wondering what is next?
Here is what you should do:
- Get a sailing account to request a Sailing Card.
- Then return to the Pavilion and ask a staff member (at the front desk) to print your sailing card.
- Sail, sail, sail! We mean it, go sailing as much as you can, that's how you're going to learn.
Ask for help! The Pavilion staff and volunteers are there to help you; you may even run into some of the people who taught you in the Learn-to-Sail class.
- Review the Open Course Ware instructional videos. They're available to everyone.
- Read the booklet, Sailing and the Tech Dinghy and learn all the sailing terms.
- Practice for the Provisional Rating test. The provisional test is a great way to push yourself to master the basics of sailing: putting your boat together, tacking, and jibing. As before, ask for help so that you can learn quickly and have as much fun as possible!
- Sail, sail, and sail more!!! Then try some of the options below and learn about more advanced ratings.
Mailing List for New Sailors
email@example.com - This mailing list serves as a place to ask questions about sailing, and a way to connect with fellow classmates and sailors at MIT to practice your new skills, or to just go for a sail. Sign up!
You can also take advantage of other classes once you get more comfortable on the boat, usually once you have your provisional rating:
- Once you've obtained your provisional rating, consider attending a Learn-to-Race series over the summer. Learning to race is a great way to improve your technique. The class will teach not just the rules of racing, but more importantly how to sail well.
- An Introduction to the Lynx Catboat class is now being offered. This class will teach you the basics of how to get started sailing on the Lynx. Note that you need to have a provisional rating to take the class.