Welcome to the MIT Bluewater Sailing Wiki
Please visit the MIT Bluewater Sailing page for general information about the coastal sailing program at MIT. This wiki is used as a reference and administrative tool.
Contact Info - pavilion staff, MITNA skippers, SeaTow emergency, local marinas
Systems Status - current status of systems on the boat
Task List - ongoing list of things that need to be done
Shopping List - things needed for the boat
Systems Descriptions - detailed enumeration of systems
Safety Requirements - official requirements for equipment aboard the boat
Vessel Documentation - U.S. Coast Guard Vessel Documentation, registration, license, PHRF-NE Certificate
Documents - tabulation of technical documents, user manuals, and other reference materials
Inventory - what is on the boat and where is it stowed
History - boat construction, history, previous owner
Skipper and Crew Ratings
Bluewater Crew Rating - information and checklists
Bluewater Skipper - Expectations and Processes
Orientation and Education
Departure Checklist - things to do before you get underway
Return Checklist - things to do before you leave the boat
Standard Operational Procedures - various operational best practices
Winterization - things to make the boat secure for the winter
De-Winterization - things to make the boat ready for the sailing season
Maintenance - regular maintenance activities
Radio Channels in Boston Harbor - useful channels to know
Sailing Terminology - just when you thought you knew English
Offshore Sailing Course - IAP
Rogue Racing Series - September 25 to October 30, 2013
These are previous MIT Nautical Association bluewater boats:
- Mashnee - Buzzards Bay 30 -- Thanks to Jan Rozendaal !! -- Built in 1902; Re-built in 2008; sailed and raced at MIT 2018 to present
- X-Dimension - C&C 43 -- Thanks to David Collins '59 !! -- Built 1973; sailed and raced at MIT 2011-2017.
- Nevermore - Tartan 37 -- Thanks to Ralph Reis '48 !! Built 1980; sailed & raced at MIT 2007-2010.
- Hermes - San Juan 24 -- Sailed at MIT at least 1984 - 1989
- Aleida - Hinckley 38 -- Thanks to Albert Hopeman '34 -- !! Built 1970; sailed at MIT 1981-2005, raced 2001-2005.
These are the tracks and notes from various bluewater trips and events:
Web Links to vendors, boating organizations, official regulations, terminology, and various instructional sites.
Wiki Info - how to use the bluewater wiki