Using the Website
From MITNA Wiki
The website lets MITNA Exec, Volunteers, Dock Staff, & Dockmaster type of members do many things on their own, including:
- creating events
- modify news/announcements
- modify the pictures gallery
Do you have administrator rights?
You have administrative rights (ie, permissions to create events, and others) if after you login either or both of the following things happen:
- you are taken to the "ADMIN" page
- the "ADMIN" menu item appears at the end of the main navigation menu
If neither of these occur, you have to contact the webmaster to figure out why your membership type is not set to what you think it should be.
You are part of MITNA Exec, which means you already have permissions to create events. When you login to the main website, you will see an "admin" link at the end of the top menu. Select it.
In 'Event Management' select "New Event"
Description of fields:
- Event Name - Full (can be long) name of the event
- Short Name - Up 30 characters, which displays in the front page & calendar
- First date - by default events are one day only, you can add more dys later
- Main contact (if other than you)
- Event type - Select 'Bluewater Event'
- Show in special events?
- Home page: i suggest that trips should be in the home page, but 'work parties' and other smaller things should not, especially if they are not intended to be for the general public
- The "events" menu is usually only for regattas, so I don't foresee that you will use it.
- Event Webpages: Full dynamic webpages
- Main page:
- You have two options, if you want a full webpage just for this event, then you can enter it here.
- If this event is going to be described in the main bluewater page (e.g., its a normal trip), then select "static" page and enter the URL. (For an example, check the current "Moonlight sail" (static) links in the main page.)
- NOR: no
- FAQ: no, this is for the *event* only, not for bluewater in general.
- SI: no
- Online Registration: YES for trips where you want people to register
- Reg form Introduction: this is where you would write details on the event that you want people to know when signing up. Even if the event has a 'static' URL, you should write here general things like "this trip will be overnight, don't forget a sleeping bag" and "its a potluck, contact organizer to know what to bring", etc
- Deadline: select one
- Manual 'confirm': if you want people who register to be 'confirmed' (the e-mail they get says to expect a confirmation), then select it. If you don't, then deselect it, and people will be 'fully registered' as soon as they sign-up.
- By choosing to 'confirm' you allow a 'waiting list' to happen.
- You can have no limit in the sign-up, but confirm only enough people,and cancel the others.
- Max participants: use when you want a 'first-come-first-serve' event and the system will automatically tell people the event is full when this number of people regiter.
- Ask phone? - Optional
- Ask Gender? - Optional
- Custom Reg Q? - you can enter a question for the registrants, which is a text-answer (ie, can't make it a list, etc, they see your text and they reply in text)
- Are there teams? NO
- Entry Fees? NO
- Results Page: No
- Main page:
Modify the Gallery