Fri May 24
Sat May 25
Sun May 26
Tue May 28
Latest ResultsOct 6See all results
Reserve!Want your own event?
Groups and individuals can reserve the Sailing Pavilion for their events. See the reservation page to request a date and check the costs.
4th of July Fireworks
- Entry: No registration needed, but you must have your current 2011-2012 sailing card printed no later than Tuesday Jul 3 (check card status in your account)
- Grills: We will have 2-4 charcoal grills going (but please precook food if possible)
- Music: We will have a live feed from the 4th of July official sounds during the fireworks! Bring your iPOD, MP3 player, if you want to request anything different before that.
- Guests: Each member who has a sailing card can bring one guest for free, second guest is $10, third is $20, and so on. (Kids (12 and under) are free)
- Regatta: Regatta around the barge at 7:00pm! (Warning: lots of obstacles to be avoided)
- Timing: Arrive by 7:00pm to make sure you find a good spot; doors close between 7 and 8pm.
July 4th is always a fun time at the Sailing Pavilion. MITNA members and their families are once again invited to join us grilling and watching the fireworks. The grills will be fired up around 4 PM and the fireworks show gets going at about 10. Please do not show up at the last moment. All MITNA members are strongly urged to arrive before 7 pm. Things get quite crowded and the capacity limit on the building is less than the number of people who wish to get in. Once capacity is reached Campus Police will close the doors and no more people will be able to come in.
Please bring a blanket to sit on as beach chairs tend to be awkward to step around. Pre-cook your chicken or pork so you are not accused of being a selfish grille hog. Our staff would love to allow you to sail until sunset but, it all depends on the orders we receive from the state police. We will appreciate your assistance with stringing together the tech dinghies for mooring to the west of the main dock and lifting all of the planing boats into the boat bays.
Requirements: Current Sailing Card
No registration needed, but to Join us on the 4th you must have a current MITNA Sailing Card obtained before the 4th of July (that means previously printed at the Pavilion, pending online requests are not valid). To obtain a sailing card fill out the online request and go to the pavilion before the 4th of July to have it printed. To get a MITNA Sailing Card you must have MIT Athletic privileges (all MIT students have these).
No sailing cards will be issued on July 4th.
Please contact the dockmaster if you have questions about acquiring a current sailing card.
Our guest policy on the 4th will be the same as it has been for the past few years. Please don't ask us to make exceptions. Each current MITNA member may bring one adult guest for free. Children are always free. Your second adult guest will pay $10. Your third adult guest will pay $20. Your fourth adult guest will pay $30, etc. Checks may be made payable to the MIT Sailing Pavilion; we expect to accept credit cards at the door.
The Pictures in this Page
The pictures in this page were taken by Richard West on July 4th, 2008. He enjoyed the 4th of July events with us while being a Post-doc in Course 10 at MIT. You can see all his pictures here. These pictures won him the honor of being featured in this year's 4th of July MIT Sailing page, as well as an MIT Sailing polo shirt.
Questions about this event? Please contact the event organizer(s):